Author Topic: 1999 concours 50w driving lights mounting location?  (Read 3408 times)

wano

1999 concours 50w driving lights mounting location?
« on: July 30, 2015, 05:21:56 AM »
I want to put a pair of 50w driving lights on my 99 connie but not sure where to mount them? the lights are less than 3" round.i thought about mounting them on my forks where the brake cables mount on each side,would that work or should I mount them higher up on the bodywork? any help would be appreciated.thanks

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: 1999 concours 50w driving lights mounting location?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 06:19:51 AM »
In the Iron Butt crowd, the prevailing knowledge is to put them as high as possible.  Having them mounted higher on the bike gives you more aiming options. If they're low, about the only option is to have the beams aimed in a pretty flat orientation. If your lights are more of a flood beam, low might be ok. If they're more of a driving light with pencil-like beams, a low mounting position might not be as satisfactory.

The up side for having them low is that they create a triangle of light that, while maybe not being the best for YOUR vision, does make you more visible to OTHERS. When they're mounted close to the same height as the headlight, it looks like one big wide light to my eyes. The more points of light others see, the better they're able to judge your approach speed.

I have a set of PIAA 910s on my ST1100, and they hang from a bracket just below the mirrors. I have them aimed to cover about the same area as the low beam lights. I can use them at night without blinding on-coming traffic, and they make that coverage area like daylight! Using them during the day makes the bike look like it's got one massive headlight.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.