Author Topic: Save That Old Gps!  (Read 23116 times)

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
Re: Save That Old Gps!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 08:59:24 pm »
I emailed Garmin about replacing the power button on my Zumo 660, which was lost when the GPS fell off the bike. A miracle that I found the GPS and it still works, BTW. They said they no longer work on the Zumo 660, but would give me 20% off of a different new model. No thanks. I contacted the vendor listed in this thread and they will replace the whole rear cover, which includes that button for $79.90 plus return shipping.

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 03:10:00 pm »
I emailed Garmin about replacing the power button on my Zumo 660, which was lost when the GPS fell off the bike. A miracle that I found the GPS and it still works, BTW. They said they no longer work on the Zumo 660, but would give me 20% off of a different new model. No thanks. I contacted the vendor listed in this thread and they will replace the whole rear cover, which includes that button for $79.90 plus return shipping.
As far as I'm concerned, Garmin's customer service has gone down the proverbial drain. But what you experienced with this aftermarket repair facility is a win in anyone's book.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 07:42:40 pm »
Please let us know about you results in dealing with these guys. I don't usually go out on a limb to recommend someone, and I'd like to know if I end up the good guy, or the goat! ;D My daughter and I will test my 500 out on a lunch ride tomorrow. The long range forecast says this is our last chance for the foreseeable future. Mildred's Meals in Kenbridge, Va. is our destination, and it's a worthy stop if you're in the neighborhood. Don't stop if you don't care for home made deserts though. Syd
Touringman

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 10:30:45 am »
I will be waiting about another month before sending my Zumo in, Syd, as I am scouting some dual sport routes in the area right now and need it to record tracks. As soon as winter puts an end to that, I'll send it in and report the results here. Besides emailing a request for quote on their site, I also phoned their MN office and talked to Chris Short about my options about this repair and feel confident that he will do a good job at a reasonable price. Thanks for sharing the info on this resource.

Fred Z.

Offline GlibGuy

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Suzuki DL650
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 11:46:25 am »
My old 60CSx quit working after riding to Lewisburg/FCR in a driving rainstorm.  I checked on a repair; got a timely response from satnavrepair but I decided that $77 was too much to invest on an out of date unit.  I've ordered a new 64S.
Mick
2019 Tracer GT 900, 2009 DL650, 2020 Husqvarna 501
33 states and Mexico

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 07:21:22 pm »
My daughter Amy and I had a great lunch ride today! We didn't go to Mildred's, as formerly stated. We decided to try a new place I discovered on the internet called the Hickory Notch Grill in Maidens, Va. on old Rt. 250 near Gum Springs, Va. We both highly recommend this place if you are in the neighborhood. The specialty is anything smoked, and of course included in that is everything barbecued. Of course we rebelled, and Amy had the fried catfish, and I had the country fried steak. Both were delicious, and we'll try the barbeque next time. It was a 200+ mile ride, and I put the Nuvi 500 through the wringer with several different destinations along the way. It performed flawlessly, and I'm very happy with it. This is an area where I already knew where I was, so it was mostly just testing the GPS. My wife Pam doesn't enjoy riding, but my 46 yr. old daughter does, so we occasionally enjoy a nice ride together. Syd😁
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 07:23:25 pm by touringman »
Touringman

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 08:12:13 pm »
By the way, today was also the maiden ride on my new custom seat,  done by Seth Laam custom seats, located in California. Seth used to build seats for Rick Mayer, but he finally tired of dealing with Rick's bullshit and "cheating heart". Dealing with him was a pleasure, but you can expect a 6 week return on your seat. He was honest in every way, and the result was marvelous! I rode all day, and didn't even know I had an Ass! It was totally comfortable, and it was a two tone seat, with graphite grey on top, and black on the sides. The cost was $435.45, and that includes return shipping. Give him a call! Syd :D
Post picks later!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 10:59:46 pm by touringman »
Touringman

Offline 1997VFR

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 09 Concours 14
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 08:14:58 pm »
That's a great BBQ place!  We go there often and the ribs are divine.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:21:51 am by 1997VFR »
1983 Suzuki 1100ED
2006 WeeStrom
2009 Concours 14

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 763375
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 07:29:30 pm »
After two weeks I was beginning to worry but I finally heard back from Satnavrepair:
"What was done: Difficult repair, an incorrect voltage must have been applied to the USB port as the power chip was burnt, the USB chip was bad and part of the motherboard needed a repair. All working now."

The original quote was 60, final bill with shipping was 87 12 for a new  "power chip" 8 for motherboard repair.

09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 07:37:36 pm »
Speaking about my Street Pilot 2610, turns out it is working fine. I was thinking the battery was bad but had forgotten that the 2610 has no battery! Sooo, now that my Nuvi 550 is fixed I have too many Garmins. I will see what it will get on Ebay unless someone here want to make an offer. I have a dash mount and a ram mount for it and the big cigar receptacle power cable with the speaker.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2016, 07:58:57 pm »
Speaking about my Street Pilot 2610, turns out it is working fine. I was thinking the battery was bad but had forgotten that the 2610 has no battery! Sooo, now that my Nuvi 550 is fixed I have too many Garmins. I will see what it will get on Ebay unless someone here want to make an offer. I have a dash mount and a ram mount for it and the big cigar receptacle power cable with the speaker.

I've got 2610s with V5 maps and V7 maps (all of which are getting pretty badly out of date). What maps do you have on your 2610?
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 09:21:21 pm »

I've got 2610s with V5 maps and V7 maps (all of which are getting pretty badly out of date). What maps do you have on your 2610?
I have OSM maps probably as good or better than city nav 2016 as far as road accuracy but seriously lacking in poi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2016, 08:06:26 am »

"What was done: Difficult repair, an incorrect voltage must have been applied to the USB port as the power chip was burnt, the USB chip was bad and part of the motherboard needed a repair. All working now."

Hey Bob,  I don't know what kind of usb power you're using but there are certainly differences in the hundreds of products out there on the market.  For instance I rather doubt that the gas station cigarette lighter plug power supplies have good voltage control. In fact that might have been what killed my first 64S. I still use a plug type power supply but it's one that received good reviews (Anker).  It cost a bit more than those $4.99 gas station jobs but most likely worth ot.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline HawkGTRider

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2016, 08:20:46 am »
I still use one of the cigarette lighter type plugs in the car (it's an accessory plug and doesn't pretend to be a cigarette plug). But I've got power lines on most of the bikes. If I don't have an appropriate plug hardwired into the electrical system on the bike, I use the accessory pigtail to get power. I haven't had an problems so far (knock on wood).
Geoffrey Greene

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2016, 09:16:39 am »
The Nuvi 550 had its dedicated power cord that has a chip built in and I later bought the cord with integrated FM traffic reception.The Connie comes with an accessory outlet in the dash but I have not yet found a plug that fits well in it, especially the Garmin unit. (They all pop out at the first good bump or hard launch) So I installed my own BMW type Powerlet receptacle (which never pops out) and for years used an adapter. Got tired of the bulk so I decided to take the chip out of a Garmin plug and make my own BMW Powerlet plug. Unfortunately Garmin apparently does not use the standard red positive/black negative color code. Trial and error has been effective for me in coding but is bad practice in electrics

Anyway, electrics is not one of my strong points and the experiment did not go well. I did learn from my mistake however and successfully made my own cord for my Radar Detector. This time I did the proper research and found out the proper wire colors.

One thing I like about the Zumo 390 is the hard wired cord built into the cradle.

09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT