Author Topic: Scooter trash  (Read 17946 times)

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
Re: Scooter trash
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 05:49:42 pm »
Perhaps a Cushman Eagle. I saw one at a scooter show with a 750 Honda inline 4. It was a badass ride.
My first motor was an Eagle.

Me and my Eagle - circa 1959

Yeah, they handled like sh*t with the stock 8hp "lawn mower" motor. I kinda doubt a 50hp motor would help that much .
Love the bad ass biker look on a scooter ;)
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 06:54:26 pm »
Perhaps a Cushman Eagle. I saw one at a scooter show with a 750 Honda inline 4. It was a badass ride.

Yeah, they handled like sh*t with the stock 8hp "lawn mower" motor. I kinda doubt a 50hp motor would help that much .

Oh yea very cool! I also love the 56 Chevy behind you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 10:51:39 pm »
Hey Steve, This is the three wheel bike with the front two wheels fairly close together. They are articulated, and leaned with the bike when cornering. It is confidence inspiring to ride, and very comfortable. I don't see any negatives in the design. You can punch a button, and it will freeze in an upright  position, so that there is no need to put your feet down. Takes a little time to get used to! Syd :)
Touringman

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 08:39:20 am »
I viewed my DCT experience as a positive because it often required that I use dusty brain cells, too long dormant!

Online HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 07:56:52 am »
Never apologize for being scooter trash!!. I've owned several scooters over the last 5 years, including a Piagio BV500, an Aprilia Scarabeo 500, and an MP3 400.I still have the Scarabeo and the MP3, and love them both. The Scarabeo has been ridden to several MSTA events, and I've had very little trouble keeping up with a mixed bag of bikes on rides. I wouldn't hesitate to ride either of these bikes across country, at freeway speeds. Long live the scoot!! Oh, they are also very comfortable. Syd  ;D
Syd,
Is that MP3 one of those leaning scooters, where the front wheels are not locked (except at low speed)? Recall seeing one at the bike show years ago thought it was an interesting design.

And welcome to Curt Chevlen (AKA osufz6)
I rode an MP3 to our annual State MSF update once a few years ago and offered test rides (part of the deal for the dealer loaning me the scooter for a long weekend). Being January, not a lot of folks had their gear with them, but the ones that did and took advantage of the test ride were pretty universally impressed. And that was the 250 version.
The wheels were close enough that you couldn't see them when astride the bike. And because they were articulated and invisible when astride the bike, you felt like you were riding a normal scooter...but knew deep down that you had twice the normal front-end contact patches for fun cornering and stopping.
I don't remember hearing much in the way of problems with these scooters. Maybe they dropped out of the product line because they were a bit quirky looking, too expensive, or you just got tired of people wanting to talk to you about them.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Online HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 07:58:55 am »

Jim...I love that picture!
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline NinjaBob

• CHARTER MEMBER MSTA
  • Administrator
  • To Dance Beneath The Diamond Sky
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • Lifetime Mileage: 763375
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tracer 9GT
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 12:36:21 pm »
Never apologize for being scooter trash!!. I've owned several scooters over the last 5 years, including a Piagio BV500, an Aprilia Scarabeo 500, and an MP3 400.I still have the Scarabeo and the MP3, and love them both. The Scarabeo has been ridden to several MSTA events, and I've had very little trouble keeping up with a mixed bag of bikes on rides. I wouldn't hesitate to ride either of these bikes across country, at freeway speeds. Long live the scoot!! Oh, they are also very comfortable. Syd  ;D
Syd,
Is that MP3 one of those leaning scooters, where the front wheels are not locked (except at low speed)? Recall seeing one at the bike show years ago thought it was an interesting design.

And welcome to Curt Chevlen (AKA osufz6)
I rode an MP3 to our annual State MSF update once a few years ago and offered test rides (part of the deal for the dealer loaning me the scooter for a long weekend). Being January, not a lot of folks had their gear with them, but the ones that did and took advantage of the test ride were pretty universally impressed. And that was the 250 version.
The wheels were close enough that you couldn't see them when astride the bike. And because they were articulated and invisible when astride the bike, you felt like you were riding a normal scooter...but knew deep down that you had twice the normal front-end contact patches for fun cornering and stopping.
I don't remember hearing much in the way of problems with these scooters. Maybe they dropped out of the product line because they were a bit quirky looking, too expensive, or you just got tired of people wanting to talk to you about them.
When they first came out I "raced" one during a track day session on my SV650. We were pretty evenly matched. The other rider was about equal  or slightly quicker in pace to me. Nevertheless I was amazed I could not pull away from him.
09 Kawasaki KLX250S
13 BMW R1200 RT
15 Yamaha YZF-R3
17 Ducati Multistrada 950
22 Yamaha Tracer 9GT

osufz6

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2017, 06:52:57 pm »
I've been outed.. I've ridden one. Great for slalom but I didn't find it comfortable. I believe it was a 400.