Author Topic: For Free: Fuel Tank from 1997 Honda ST1100 (way rusted)  (Read 4108 times)

mudduc

For Free: Fuel Tank from 1997 Honda ST1100 (way rusted)
« on: November 18, 2015, 02:16:31 PM »
About 8 years ago I put in a bunch of Stable(tm) and filled this tank up to the top.  Ran the bike for a bit to get the carbs cleaned out and shut everything down with the thought that I'd work on the bike next spring and get it on the road again.

8 years later, I'm taking it apart and selling all the bits.  The previous owner couldn't be talked into working on it and I only had it to get him back into the sport.  So far I've sold the Corbin Canyon Dual Sport and the frame with clean title.  I'll put up other bits here as I get them free but if there is anything you want, feel free to PM me and give me an offer.  I'd like to sell everything for about half what they would be worth so make sure your offers are where you think you'll be getting a really good deal.

So, this fuel tank.  It's junk.  Surface rust everywhere.
If someone wants it, I'll include a few bottles of the acid etch that comes with the clean-n-cream kits for gas tanks (I used the cream on my carbon/kevlar tank for the RC51).
If nobody wants it, it will go in the trash after Christmas.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Offline roginoz

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2005 Honda ST1300
Re: For Free: Fuel Tank from 1997 Honda ST1100 (way rusted)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:51:51 PM »
I don't need a tank, but I thought I'd mention that surface rust can be removed more easily than you might think.  Last winter, while restoring a '73 CL350, I came upon a product called Evaporust at my local O'Reilly's auto parts store.  The stuff is incredible.  We cleaned out a fuel tank and uncounted other bits and pieces.  It's non-toxic, doesn't smell to high heaven, and can be re-used for a long time (it eventually turns really black and quits working.)
Roger Smith
'05 ST1300
'12 XR1200X
'09 KLR650
'73 CL350

mudduc

Re: For Free: Fuel Tank from 1997 Honda ST1100 (way rusted)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »
Thanks for the note.  I'll give that a try before pitching it into the trash.
Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota