Author Topic: FJR Owners: Fix for leaking oil filters  (Read 9646 times)

Offline normkern

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
FJR Owners: Fix for leaking oil filters
« on: January 24, 2016, 05:46:33 PM »
If you want to use aftermarket oil filters on your FJR 1300, you need this modification.
Problem: Non OEM oil filter manufacturers have changed the design of their filters in a way that makes them incompatible with the FJR. Specifically, the threaded part of the filter base, which used to be concave, is now convex, so when the filter is installed on an FJR, the threaded base bottoms out on the hex section of the FJR union bolt before the rubber oil ring is adequately compressed. Since the ring does not seal, oil leaks around it.
MODIFIED UNION BOLTS AVAILABLE.
Finally got a furnace installed in my garage, updated my tooling and worked out the details so I can make a batch of modified union bolts for those who want them.
Cost will be $30, including 1st class USPS in USA. Price includes a new union bolt, so you don't need to send me your old one.
Please order before April 1 (riding season starts and I'll be riding!)
How to order: PM me with your email address and say you want info on the FJR Union Bolt Modification.
You will receive a reply with an order form and instructions.
I have a few of these bolts in stock, that I can ship right away, but am at the mercy of Yamaha parts suppliers if we get into a back-order situation. (This is not a frequently needed replacement part!)

Here are some pics comparing modified and unmodified parts...

prob1.JPG  Stock union bolt screwed into a new-style "outie" filter.

prob2.JPG     The problem: Hex part of union bolt is too thick and prevents sealing compression of the rubber sealing ring.

sol1.JPG   Union bolt before (Left) and after (Right) modification.

sol2.JPG  Modified union bolt screwed into new-style "outie" filter.

sol3.JPG  Modified union bolt provides additional clearance needed to compress rubber sealing ring.

Norm Kern

Offline erniee

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: MOTO GUZZI V85 Honor Guard
Re: FJR Owners: Fix for leaking oil filters
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 08:45:27 PM »
Or you could just buy the factory oil filters and never worry about anything. OEM parts may cost more, but when it comes to filters I still believe you can not go wrong.

Offline Steve

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: YAMAHA FJR1300
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:13:45 AM »
I agree with you Erniee, 5 dollars for after market, 8-9 dollars for OEM. Cheap insurance for an excellent motorcycle!
Steve

Offline normkern

• Norm Kern
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 09:30:44 AM »
I agree with you Erniee, 5 dollars for after market, 8-9 dollars for OEM. Cheap insurance for an excellent motorcycle!
The modified union bolt is not offered as a way to save money. It is a way to continue to use filters that are superior to OEM such as the Pure One 14610.  http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 04:17:32 PM »
ahhh....what can I say Norm. Pearls before swine.

EASY BOYS!..I'm only joking. I'm not calling you names, just quoting (sort of) the bible.
 It's the way of forums almost everywhere. Offer something up and
someone is going to poop on it, sometimes without even knowing it.

Hopefully this will take off and this thread (pun intended) will fill with FJR customers.

However, since I don't own an FJR (but I've got to admit they seem to be getting better and better as the years go on),
I have no need of what looks to be an excellent product.
So....if this thread doesn't take off Norm, please come back here and show us photos of your shop/garage/lathe/other tools where you make this fine useful product.
It's a shame to let a good thread go stale.

edit: If a thread goes off topic, is it cross threaded?  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:22:34 PM by fartymarty »
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline normkern

• Norm Kern
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 07:08:57 AM »
ahhh....what can I say Norm. Pearls before swine.

EASY BOYS!..I'm only joking. I'm not calling you names, just quoting (sort of) the bible.
 It's the way of forums almost everywhere. Offer something up and
someone is going to poop on it, sometimes without even knowing it.

Hopefully this will take off and this thread (pun intended) will fill with FJR customers.

However, since I don't own an FJR (but I've got to admit they seem to be getting better and better as the years go on),
I have no need of what looks to be an excellent product.
So....if this thread doesn't take off Norm, please come back here and show us photos of your shop/garage/lathe/other tools where you make this fine useful product.
It's a shame to let a good thread go stale.

edit: If a thread goes off topic, is it cross threaded?  ;D

Hi Marty,

Nice to hear from you, and enjoy some good-natured ribbing. The modified union bolt is an item that most FJR owners don't ned and are not interested in because they use the OEM filter or a motorcycle-speced type. OTOH, the most effective filters are the premium automotive types, and some owners want to use them even though their mounting spec has changed. I'm one of those people and have found there are others, so I'm offering this modification for them.

Don't really care how many I sell, but everyone who wants one should be able to get one.

Norm Kern

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 12:07:54 PM »
All I'll say is that its good to see the OEM Honda filter for most of my bikes (the type [5] from the list Norm linked) is not better than the Fram filters I've used instead. 50K miles on my CBR600, 40K+ on my VFR, and so on with no problems that I'm aware of. Also with gasp plain automotive oil (Castrol GTX) and not OEM oil, Mobil 1 or anything else fancy. Change it every 3-4K miles.

Also kind of interesting to see Wal-Mart branded stuff listed as superior since so many tell me Wal-Mart sells nothing but Chinese crap. Might look at their SuperTech 2.5" model if they carry it and reasonable price.

PS  I did buy and try one of the K&Ns with the nut on end for easy removal on my VFR, its a tough spot to get the filter wrench in by the headers.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline wardie

• MSTA Member
    • 2 Wheel Power Hour
  • Lifetime Mileage: over 200K
  • Primary Motorcycle: 1995 BMW K 1100 RS
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 11:17:52 PM »
Oh boy ...oil and oil filters there's a subject that can cause fist fights :) Everyone has an opinion on oil. I still get on the track once and awhile and had have had great success with Mobil 1 4T synthetic with properties for wet clutches. I've also used Valvoline 10w-40 motorcycle specific oil with no problems. I agree with Steve changing oil frequently is good insurance.   I try and change change my oil every 2,000 .

I use either OEM or K&N motorcycle filters. I have many BMW buddies who loathe buying a $25-30 BMW oil filter for their $20,000.00 bikes and go the route Norm has indicated using automotive filters.

Norm's part can be of great value because you might not  live close to a Yamaha dealer but are within  driving distance to Auto Zone or Advance or even a Walmart . There they  would have the automotive filter that you could screw Norm's part into and get your bike on the road.

Fram filters, inexpensive, easy to find. Most like them but occasionally I hear or read about the filtration elements (made from paper) came loose and caused a problem.

I am always pleased when I find items that I consider to be good for use in motorcycling or camping at Walmart. It's like anything else..you should know the value of what you're buying.

I believe you can do a Google search on motorcycle filters where tests show which filter, filters down to 10 microns or less and which are rated highly etc.
Wardie

Offline normkern

• Norm Kern
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 06:07:22 AM »
Also kind of interesting to see Wal-Mart branded stuff listed as superior since so many tell me Wal-Mart sells nothing but Chinese crap. Might look at their SuperTech 2.5" model if they carry it and reasonable price.

The Wal-Mart filters listed on the referenced site are no longer available, according to info that I have read elsewhere.

Norm Kern