Author Topic: TOTAL CONTROL at the STAR in VT?  (Read 11169 times)

Offline Tigger

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
TOTAL CONTROL at the STAR in VT?
« on: April 07, 2016, 11:59:12 AM »
Well, yours truly is now a Total Control Advanced Rider Clinic (ARC) Instructor. That's Lee Parks' advanced curriculum.

I would like to know how many of you would be interested in following that clinic during the STAR?
The techniques are a direct fit to most of us, and are scale-able to any speed from safe, proficient touring up to and including track riding.  ;)
I could have David Beyer himself teach with me (Lee's QA director and an Instructor Trainer himself). We need relatively little pavement to teach on, it just needs to be good. If there is enough interest, I will immediately get on with the logistics. Let me know!

(Hopefully the STAR organizers will get back to me with this, feathers puffed or not  ;D ;D ;D )
Total Control Instructor # 256

"A ship is always safe at port. But that is not what ships are built for."

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Re: TOTAL CONTROL at the STAR in VT?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 04:08:42 PM »
Didn't I just reply to this on another thread? Is t up twice?
I'm a definite maybe. Time and money?
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 04:13:36 PM »
I took this class a couple of years ago and feel it was probably the most productive day of riding I have ever had.  I can't recommend it highly enough.  I really learned a lot and it helped to make my riding time even more enjoyable than it had been in the past.

But....while I think there may be some interest from STAR attendees in taking the class, I would recommend setting it up for a day either the weekend before or one of the days after the banquet, if you can.
not all that wander are lost

Offline ipnman

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: BMW 2019 R1250RT
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 06:28:53 PM »
Well, yours truly is now a Total Control Advanced Rider Clinic (ARC) Instructor. That's Lee Parks' advanced curriculum.

I would like to know how many of you would be interested in following that clinic during the STAR?
The techniques are a direct fit to most of us, and are scale-able to any speed from safe, proficient touring up to and including track riding.  ;)
I could have David Beyer himself teach with me (Lee's QA director and an Instructor Trainer himself). We need relatively little pavement to teach on, it just needs to be good. If there is enough interest, I will immediately get on with the logistics. Let me know!

(Hopefully the STAR organizers will get back to me with this, feathers puffed or not  ;D ;D ;D )
This is not part of STAR 2016, Stayin Safe is the only rider course offered this year.
We will look at offering this course next year at STAR

Dennis
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:47:40 AM by ipnman »
Dennis Villarose
STAR Coordinator
MSTA PR Group

Offline TrophyRider

• Forum Member II
  • Lifetime Mileage: 150000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2013 Honda CB50X
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 07:22:25 PM »

This is not part of STAR 2106, Stayin Safe is the only rider course offered this year.

Dennis

I am curious as to why this would be denied. This is a well respected course on riding skills improvement and it sounds like they are willing to handle all of the logistics. As far as I know, Stayin' Safe doesn't have a monopoly contract on training with the MSTA. The club is always soliciting new vendors, a reputable one has stepped forward on their own, yet is told absolutely no in a forum environment. I am sure there is more to this off forum, but a potential vendor should never be told no through the forum, regardless the case. I'd be willing to bet Total Control won't offer again.
Jon W Campbell Jr.
2013 Honda CB500X

Offline fz1grl

• MSTA Member
    • Oklahoma MSTA
  • Lifetime Mileage: 290,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha FZ1
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 09:32:49 PM »
The year that Lee Parks did the course at STAR in State College, PA it was held the day after the event was over so technically it was not part of STAR.  So I stayed over and took the course on Thursday and left for home on Friday.  It was the perfect end to a great STAR as I still got to socialize and ride with everyone during STAR and take this course afterwards.  I have since taken it again from Lee Parks in Arkansas several years later.  I don't thing at that time they had started the advanced course.  I would love to take either course again as it was one of the best but alas I'm not sure I'm going to be making Vermont but I really want to.
Denise Dickenson - 01 FZ1(blue)
http://www.fz1grl.net
http://www.okmsta.com/fz1grl
234567 and still going...
Oklahoma MSTA http://www.okmsta.com

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
  • Get the Most From Your Ride
    • National Rider Training
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW K1200GT, Yamaha Vmax, KTM 950 Adventure, Honda VFR750, Suzuki SV650S, Honda CRF250X
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 11:49:47 PM »
First I would like to give Congratulations to Helene for working so hard with all the time and effort it takes to reach this level. Very few people come as well prepared and do as well as She did! I would be honored to teach with her anytime!

When or where ever this happens as Part of STAR I would be very pleased to come out to the event and offer the classes. In the past I have been to other events and rallies to offer classes. We have done them in conjunction with the National BMW events. I have even done classes at Deals Gap for the FZ1 and SV rallies.

David
National Rider Training
Total Control Training INC.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:50:25 AM by Outlaws Justice »
David
National Rider Training

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 07:25:54 AM »
I, for one, would welcome David or anyone he would recommend to teach the course.  The course I took was taught by him.  I enjoyed it very much and would definitely consider taking it again. 

not all that wander are lost

Offline bcd

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: XT1200Z
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 08:32:58 AM »
I'm registered for the Stayin' Safe course this year, but I would be interested in the Total Control class another year.
==BD

'21 Speed Twin, '15 Super Tenere

Offline ipnman

• MSTA Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 09:08:56 AM »

This is not part of STAR 2106, Stayin Safe is the only rider course offered this year.

Dennis

I am curious as to why this would be denied. This is a well respected course on riding skills improvement and it sounds like they are willing to handle all of the logistics. As far as I know, Stayin' Safe doesn't have a monopoly contract on training with the MSTA. The club is always soliciting new vendors, a reputable one has stepped forward on their own, yet is told absolutely no in a forum environment. I am sure there is more to this off forum, but a potential vendor should never be told no through the forum, regardless the case. I'd be willing to bet Total Control won't offer again.
I spoke with Helene yesterday, and we agreed that the course could be offered and promoted at STAR 17. Now if Total Control would like to offer the course outside of STAR 16 dates, that's ok. We have a lot to offer at this year's STAR i.e. Moto Vermont Rides, Stayin Safe Rider Training, Honda Factory Demo Rides, Lunch Ride, and many rides/routes in the surrounding area.
Dennis   
Dennis Villarose
STAR Coordinator
MSTA PR Group

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 09:31:05 AM »
That could work for me... after STAR. Chris is riding up to Qubec City for two days of a conference. I was just going to explore the area while he did his convention thing. However I could stay and take this training IF it is set up for after STAR.
I'll be seeing how this pans out.
Thanks.
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Outlaws Justice

• Forum Member II
  • Get the Most From Your Ride
    • National Rider Training
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW K1200GT, Yamaha Vmax, KTM 950 Adventure, Honda VFR750, Suzuki SV650S, Honda CRF250X
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
Training to Increase Skills is one more way to also increase your chances for a great and safe ride. At the end of the day every tool you have is one more you have access to in order to get the job done. Skills are perishable, no one should know that better than us! When it comes to riding experience do you have 10 years experience of one year of experience 10 times?

David
National Rider Training

Offline Mooose

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Ducati Scrambler
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 08:18:38 PM »
 All,
 Like “FZ1grl” stated in her note, this (Lee Parks) was a very successful extracurricular activity at STAR in PA. several years ago. As I’m sure all of you know planning and setting up a STAR Rally is a huge and time consuming activity. I may be old but I do remember those days. I don’t envy the EC and the STAR planning committee their tasks. Lining up hotels, dates, insurance, AMA sanctions, multiple routes for our consumption, guest speakers, demo teams, etc. takes countless hours. That said, I also know that there is only so many activities that you can reasonably schedule into the three days of our National Rally. The lead time needed to set up all of this is also significant. (A year or more!) Between tire kickin’ bench racin’ and riding the beautiful Vermont roads there is only so much time to be set aside for other activities. STAYING SAFE was asked over a year ago and they have planned their schedule around coming to STAR just like they did at STAR 99 in Marietta, OH.
The point is; it’s difficult to add a valuable activity like Lee Parks to STAR 16 at this late date.
It seems only fair to me that we honor our “official” commitment to STAYING SAFE this time.
If there is a significant interest in the Lee Parks course and the participants want to stay over for a day or two after STAR 16, then I feel sure there would not be a problem.

Mooose

Offline Mooose

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Ducati Scrambler
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 08:22:36 PM »
PS. I know "Tigger" and she is a damn fine instructor. I have taken her classes back in her MSF days and enjoyed them. So, if you decide to "stay after school" you'll have a very rewarding experience.
Mooose

Offline ipnman

• MSTA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 08:38:07 AM »
All,
 Like “FZ1grl” stated in her note, this (Lee Parks) was a very successful extracurricular activity at STAR in PA. several years ago. As I’m sure all of you know planning and setting up a STAR Rally is a huge and time consuming activity. I may be old but I do remember those days. I don’t envy the EC and the STAR planning committee their tasks. Lining up hotels, dates, insurance, AMA sanctions, multiple routes for our consumption, guest speakers, demo teams, etc. takes countless hours. That said, I also know that there is only so many activities that you can reasonably schedule into the three days of our National Rally. The lead time needed to set up all of this is also significant. (A year or more!) Between tire kickin’ bench racin’ and riding the beautiful Vermont roads there is only so much time to be set aside for other activities. STAYING SAFE was asked over a year ago and they have planned their schedule around coming to STAR just like they did at STAR 99 in Marietta, OH.
The point is; it’s difficult to add a valuable activity like Lee Parks to STAR 16 at this late date.
It seems only fair to me that we honor our “official” commitment to STAYING SAFE this time.
If there is a significant interest in the Lee Parks course and the participants want to stay over for a day or two after STAR 16, then I feel sure there would not be a problem.

Thank You Moose for your input and support on this matter
Looking forward to offering "Total Control Course" at next year's STAR
Dennis
Dennis Villarose
STAR Coordinator
MSTA PR Group