Author Topic: Which STAR locations were best for socializing  (Read 7955 times)

Offline Rayk86ss

• MSTA Member
Which STAR locations were best for socializing
« on: July 31, 2016, 10:13:02 AM »
The social aspect of attending a STAR is a big part of the reason that we go.  The Vermont STAR seemed to me like a more social atmosphere than other recent locations and I wonder why.  All of this is admittedly subjective.  The evenings in Rapid City seemed downright dead to me in spite of a big hotel with lots of space.  The same situation applied at Springdale, and perhaps that had to do with humid weather that made it unpleasant to be outside, even in the evening. 
STAR in Vermont had our group scattered about three or more buildings, but they were all an easy walk from each other.  In my opinion this challenges the thinking that we must all be in the same building in order to have social interaction.   The Stratton STAR also had interesting stuff to walk to in the evening such as the Muggelbys bar ( or whatever it was called) up on the hill.   Simple things such as the fact there was a place to sit at the lobby entrance may have encouraged people to linger and interact.  Vermont STAR had a disadvantage in that campers were not near the hotel.   One can almost always find a camper to talk to even when all the other members have retreated to their air conditioned rooms.  Having the large demo fleet right near the hotel entrance meant that people were always around for that reason. 

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
Re: Which STAR locations were best for socializing
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:00:59 PM »
Some interesting thoughts for sure.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:11:35 PM »
I think one of the most amazing things we every did to increase the socializing was the Poker Walk at STAR in Charleston, WV. It was amazing... People were out walking from restaurant to bar to restaurant and getting the cards. Also the addition of Jon Campbell with Fireman Joe on the scooter riding around downtown giving out wild cards was a Hoot!
Jon, Janet, Woovis, Pam and all the volunteers really pulled of a great event there!

Avon and the Christy Lodge always had the same big open area in the middle with the rooms on both sides. Some years it was a great meeting place and some years it was deadly quite there?? I don't know why?

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Rayk86ss

• MSTA Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
The most recent STAR that I recall in Avon had unseasonably warm weather.  The common areas were slightly unpleasant in spite of fans and pitchers of iced lemon water.  Normally Avon is just heaven in June, even without A/C. 

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 02:38:39 PM »
I think the Lexington KY STAR had the best mingling
Brick - Wasn't it Asheville where we did the poker walk? -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 05:40:21 PM »

There may have been one at Asheville, I don't know because I wasn't there, but there was certainly one in Charleston.

not all that wander are lost

Offline HawkGTRider

• Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 08:08:46 PM »

There may have been one at Asheville, I don't know because I wasn't there, but there was certainly one in Charleston.

I wasn't able to make Charleston, but I did get to Asheville. And yes, there was something for folks to do downtown. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember wandering around the downtown area.
I have to admit that the different locations start to run together a bit after all the years. I've been to 18 STARs, and there really hasn't been one that I didn't enjoy. If they were in locations that emphasized socializing over riding, that was ok. If the riding was better, that was a plus. But the MSTA has always been a social club of folks who bonded together over a love of riding. Our styles have expanded somewhat as we have dual sporters, dedicated tourers, sport riders, and even an occasional cruiser rider to go along with our sport touring riders. And I like it. After all, sport touring is more of a frame of mind than anything else, so have it!
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 05:20:32 AM »

We ALSO tried a Poker Walk in Asheville but because people had to get transportation to downtown it didn't work as well.

Let's Ride!
Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 12:14:36 PM »
Yes, Brick, the poker walk at Charleston was a lot of fun. Here is proof that Donna and I were having a great time during that walk.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 12:49:29 PM »
Don't think I participated in the poker walk at Charleston WV (2001). I think the last one in Lexington was nice for socializing because of some of the outdoor vendors, including one with beer and food, along with some places to sit.

Those sites that had all the bikes in a parking structure (Charleston, Avon) usually had few people mingling around the bikes, but groups did congregate in other places. I think one thing that made Stratton better was people just hung around outside, in the front and around the groups of bikes. The weather helped, and the way the rooms were spread out sometimes you were better off walking outside (fewer stairs, skip the humid spa area, etc.). Maybe it was the variety of people, with more smaller groups from all over the country than the same large groups of people that may be more inclined to hang out in their own little groups.

I for one made an effort to not just sit in my room in the evenings, I fall into that trap sometimes. But since it was my brother first  STAR I wanted to make sure we mingled ans spoke with lots of different people.

I don't think there is any one formula, but do feel the parking decks kill some of the "lets go look at bikes and BS" action that many people are interested in.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Buckeye56

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 08:09:22 PM »
There was a poker walk at Avon in 2000 IIRC. It was all in side the Christie Lodge's open area. Some this is probably age related. It seems to me that the evenings end earlier than they used to.

Offline normkern

• Norm Kern
  • Lifetime Mileage: 900k
  • Primary Motorcycle: '16 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 08:34:59 AM »
Don't think I participated in the poker walk at Charleston WV (2001). I think the last one in Lexington was nice for socializing because of some of the outdoor vendors, including one with beer and food, along with some places to sit.

Star 2001 was at State College PA, 2002 was at Hot Springs AR. Charleston WV was 2003, I think.

Norm Kern

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 10:29:34 AM »

Star 2001 was at State College PA, 2002 was at Hot Springs AR. Charleston WV was 2003, I think.

Norm Kern

That is correct, Norm.

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 02:36:05 PM »

Norm Kern
Dang it, I pride myself on my STAR year knowledge and I goofed bigtime on that one. I should remember STAR2001 was State College, it was my first. I can remember the rest that I attended pretty well (all the ones out west in even years 2000-2008).
2001 - State College PA
2003 - Charleston WV
2005 - Lexington KY
2007 - Asheville NC
2009 - Staunton VA
2010 - Taos NM
2011 - Johnson City TN
2012 - Avon CO
2013 - Lexington KY (closer to downtown second time)
2014 - Rapid City SD
2016 - Stratton VT
It helps having the shirts in the closet to check, but this was from memory.
Back to the socializing at STAR topic... age, I'm a night owl and even I'm usually ready to go back to my room by 10 or so and prepare for the next day's ride. I remember my first few events 15 years ago people it seemed people were up longer, some of the Fly Bys at the Knights Inn were pretty wild late nights.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650