Author Topic: Save That Old Gps!  (Read 13801 times)

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
Re: Save That Old Gps!
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 11:37:31 AM »
Speaking about my Street Pilot 2610, turns out it is working fine. I was thinking the battery was bad but had forgotten that the 2610 has no battery! Sooo, now that my Nuvi 550 is fixed I have too many Garmins. I will see what it will get on Ebay unless someone here want to make an offer. I have a dash mount and a ram mount for it and the big cigar receptacle power cable with the speaker.

I've got 2610s with V5 maps and V7 maps (all of which are getting pretty badly out of date). What maps do you have on your 2610?
I have OSM maps probably as good or better than city nav 2016 as far as road accuracy but seriously lacking in poi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

The OSM maps also have a LOT more detail particularly in remote areas. Case in point, a couple of years ago I was out in the Big Bend NP area. The City Nav 2015 maps showed NO roads in the area - NONE. Whereas the OSM map showed a spiderweb of ranch roads. Some were gated private property but some weren't and I was able to navigate back to maintained roads using OSM. But, you are correct about the POIs. Not a lot of data there.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure