Main Forums > The Garage

Long Term VFR

<< < (2/2)

stevegrab:
Thanks for the feedback Bob. I'll check eBay for those, but always have concerns with buying used items like that.

Long live our VFRs :-)

Tigger:
NinjaBob:

Well nuts are non-rigid fasteners because of the rubber that serves as a spacer/damper in each. You should not (not, haha) tighten until you feel it "solid" because then you are pushing the material in its steep stress-strain zone and it will take compression set faster, which will make it harder to remove and to reuse. A gentle hand torque is enough and usually corresponds to 60 - 100 in-lbs. The elastomer is there to help dampen vibrations that cause either loss of clamp load or fretting cracks, or both. If you try to lock it solid you are defeating the purpose.

On the subject of injectors, my '99 VFR lost the will to start during an extended period of inactivity; after exhausting the troubleshooting tree, it occurred to me that the injectors might be physically questionable (by opposition to electrically) so I sent them out. Now for a shameless plug: http://www.southbayfuelinjectors.com/clean-flow-test/motorcycle/ in New York NY were fast, cheap, courteous and professional, and they sent me not only clean and well packed injectors, but also a before/after flow chart as well as my old bits back for good measure. I heartily recommend them.

On the subject of voltage regulators, especially if you are going to ask your VFR to run an RV-like electrical array, this is where I got a dedicated kit, complete with instructions and connections: http://www.rmstator.com/en/catalog-years/1999/honda/vfr800?filter=true they also have a replacement stator in the case it is needed. Ricks Motorsports also has a replacement unit. The important thing is to select a MOSFET regulator that dissipates much less heat. It doesn't help that the heat sink in the stock unit is not oriented the best way. Probably a bin part that they oh-welled on.

Now if I could find someone who knows what the henry they are doing in a paint booth... ::)

NinjaBob:
Thanks for the well nut info Tigger. I had no idea they worked that way! I had my injectors cleaned and balanced at RC Engineering in California, RC as in Russ Collins. They were quick and reasonable, sent a detailed report and most importantly fixed my leak.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version