Author Topic: Bikes That Are Smaller And Lighter  (Read 17206 times)

Offline touringman

• MSTA Member
  • Syd Mayes
  • Lifetime Mileage: 400,000 ?
  • Primary Motorcycle: Honda CTX 700DCT
Bikes That Are Smaller And Lighter
« on: April 09, 2017, 03:35:35 PM »
Over the last few years, I've begun to feel Father Time nip at my heels occasionally. Almost sub consciously, I've found my tastes migrating from GS1100E's, FJR1300s, Goldwings, GSX1100G's, etc. Towards 650 VStroms, FZ6's, Scooters, and my present ride, the Honda CTX 700DCT. Due to a diminished inseam, even the VStrom was more top heavy than I really felt comfortable with. The article that I will post below caught me by surprise! It seems I'm part of a "trending" group! Oh well, I guess there's a first time for everything. :D I still want to ride at a respectable pace, but it isn't necessary to ride a 1100 cc bike to do so. The V-Strom would hang with almost anything in the twisties and cruise as fast as I want to go these days. Even the 500cc Aprilia Scarabeo would hang with most folks, while sipping gas at 60 mpg. I've found the CTX700 with the DCT to be an extremely comfortable and capable companion. Modifications were necessary in order to increase cornering clearance, which was accomplished by shorter "custom" dog bones and a taller tire in the rear, and by longer "custom" PVC fork spring spacers in the front. Heated grips, a Cee Bailey 22" windshield, Chinese "bark busters", floorboards, a Seth Laam custom seat, and a triple set of hard bags kinda make it my own. I remember tossing the FJR through the twisted all day, and feeling worn out. The Honda is a cake walk by comparison, and it also sips at 60+ mpg.  The DCT works wonderfully, and I'm still learning how to wring it out for all it's worth!

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-some-riders-are-downsizing-to-smaller-motorcycles?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4/8/2017%20-%20CT&utm_term=Common%20Tread%20%7C%20Combined

I'd love to hear comments! Syd
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 08:56:18 PM by touringman »
Touringman

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
Re: Bikes That Are Smaller And Lighter
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »
I think that a lot of us are in a similar position in life.....still want to enjoy the twisties, but don't feel the need for high horsepower and weight that goes with touring bikes, or the camped riding position that the race replica bikes have. 
not all that wander are lost

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:22:27 PM »
I too read that and while I still have and enjoy my Super Tenere I'm really enjoying the FJ-09. It being ~ 150lbs lighter is nice.
I did think of you Syd when I read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 09:47:33 PM »
My primary ride for the past 8 years has been a 2007 BMW F650GS (652 cc thumper). With a dry weight of 388#, getting 55-75 mpg depending on speed and conditions, smooth enough on big roads, quite capable on most things short of single track (maybe as much my limitation as the bike), and capable of hauling me anywhere I want to go, it's the smaller and lighter bike that trips my trigger. I still have bigger and faster bikes, but they get ridden less.

I guess that makes me a trend setter as well.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:51:14 PM by HawkGTRider »
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 04:09:12 AM »
It's not just the 100+ horsepower that is seen as over-the-top as we age.  Holding up that monster at stop signs can sometimes be a challenge especially when the roadway is severely cambered, you have to stop on a hill, or there is something potentially slippery on the ground.  There was an active Gold Wing chapter in my town so in the 90s I'd often see them running around town.  Rather than step down to smaller bikes, it seems those who are still riding have converted their Wings to trikes.

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 07:43:22 AM »
We need the "like" comment on this forum. There are many posts the I don't need to reply but would like to hit "like".

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 10:59:41 AM »
It's not just the 100+ horsepower that is seen as over-the-top as we age.  Holding up that monster at stop signs can sometimes be a challenge especially when the roadway is severely cambered, you have to stop on a hill, or there is something potentially slippery on the ground.  There was an active Gold Wing chapter in my town so in the 90s I'd often see them running around town.  Rather than step down to smaller bikes, it seems those who are still riding have converted their Wings to trikes.

That is true about trikes, Tosh. My Honda dealer builds 3 brands of trikes out of Gold Wings and they keep one tech employed full time doing those conversions. It is amazing how many they sell and typical MSRP for one is $35,000 and up.

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
Well I guess we don't all agree.
I just purchased the biggest (1000 cc) bike that I've ever owned.
It's tall and it's heavy until you ride it. Once moving it handles like a lighter bike.
And it doesn't even have a clutch lever.
So there you go.

Correction; I did have a Honda ST1100 years ago so this isn't the largest bike I've owned

Doug
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:01:34 PM by dpippin »
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline dpippin

• MSTA Member
    • SE Region web site
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »
We need the "like" comment on this forum. There are many posts the I don't need to reply but would like to hit "like".

Keep the "likes" to your Facebook account and don't clutter up this forum with all that unnecessary stuff.

Doug
MSTA Se Region Web Site
http://msta-se.com/

Offline PYG RYDR

• MSTA Member
  • Adventure/Dualsport
  • Primary Motorcycle: Yamaha Tenere 700
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »
Well I guess we don't all agree.
I just purchased the biggest (1000 cc) bike that I've ever owned.
It's tall and it's heavy until you ride it. Once moving it handles like a lighter bike.
And it doesn't even have a clutch lever.
So there you go.

Correction; I did have a Honda ST1100 years ago so this isn't the largest bike I've owned

Doug

Very Nice!!!

Jealous!

17 or 18?
PYG RYDR
T800XC-701E-T700-FE450

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »

I agree, but doubt we'll see it here or have a forum shift to support that.
You could respond and type the single word LIKE.
Or if you got some good advice from the poster (help with a problem or issue) you might click the applaud link under their post count to give them a higher plus/minuse score.
I got out for my first short ride of the year after a long layoff even with decent winter weather. My neck has been bugging me some and it was getting aggravated trying to turn side to side checking for traffic at intersections. The bike (VFR800) didn't feel too big or heavy, but I do enjoy the lighter bikes and suspect that will continue as I age.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline BlueRidgeGal

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 05:20:14 PM »
LIKE = :-)
Proud owner of:
2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6E
2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF
2012 BMW F800ST

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 05:32:42 PM »

That is true about trikes, Tosh. My Honda dealer builds 3 brands of trikes out of Gold Wings and they keep one tech employed full time doing those conversions. It is amazing how many they sell and typical MSRP for one is $35,000 and up.
I know this will draw fire but as far as I'm concerned,  trikes are not motorcycles.  I'm pretty sure I can categorically state I will never own one. Yeah they don't fall over but they give up the one safety advantage a bike has - maneuverability.  AND they add a 3rd track making it difficult to miss obstacles.  All that without adding any protection for the rider and passenger.  No thanks.

I've been going smaller and lighter for several years.  When I can no longer ride smaller and lighter I'll just drive some sort of sporty and/or open 4 wheeled vehicle.  I have a rag-top Wrangler already.  It's not the same as a bike but I could live with it if I had to.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline HawkGTRider

• MSTA Executive Committee
  • Lifetime Mileage: 860,000
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F650GS thumper
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 02:35:38 AM »
I know this will draw fire but as far as I'm concerned,  trikes are not motorcycles.  I'm pretty sure I can categorically state I will never own one. Yeah they don't fall over but they give up the one safety advantage a bike has - maneuverability.  AND they add a 3rd track making it difficult to miss obstacles.  All that without adding any protection for the rider and passenger.  No thanks.

I've been going smaller and lighter for several years.  When I can no longer ride smaller and lighter I'll just drive some sort of sporty and/or open 4 wheeled vehicle.  I have a rag-top Wrangler already.  It's not the same as a bike but I could live with it if I had to.

I told Cindy 10 years ago that when the time came to get off 2 wheels I'd need a rag-top Jeep or a Miata (or both). I'd add a convertible VW Beetle to that list now.
Geoffrey Greene
MSTA Ride For Kids Coordinator, MSTA Secretary (retired), TN-STAR and Tri-STAR Coordinator (retired)
Difficult roads can lead to beautiful destinations.

rideandfly

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 08:27:13 AM »
Replaced the Vstrom 650 with a FJ-09 for two up sport touring, FJ is about the same weight with more HP  :) .

Also like the 47HP CB500X for solo twisty and fire road riding. Purchased a ramp to transport the shorter wheel base and lighter CB500X in the back of the tow vehicle for local two up riding while camping with a travel trailer.  Last solo fire road/twisty ride with the CB, rode 205 miles burning 2.9 gallons of gas, it has a 4.5 gallon tank.

CB500X:

FJ-09:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:52:07 AM by rideandfly »