Author Topic: Hearing loss... Sena and earbud use?  (Read 24941 times)

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
Hearing loss... Sena and earbud use?
« on: May 09, 2017, 01:25:49 pm »
Ok yes, I have hearing loss and have hearing aids. I can not wear then under a helmet. I use a Sena 20S blue tooth intercom and really like it.

Hearing loss is not just a matter of more volume. In fact my wife's hearing loss is called a reverse loss in that she has lost low frequencies where my loss is the high frequencies. Most have the loss that I have. So while I may hear that someone is talking it's often hard to understand what is said. We have been experimenting with the Sena settings, speaker location and different microphones but no real change.

I'm wondering if earbuds would help me? I noticed that Norm Kern wears earbuds with his Sena 20S. Norm if you are on here I would like to hear your input on this.

I know there are many many different earbuds and that some can get quite expensive. How can I try them without throwing a lot of money away?

Got ideas?

Huhhh???   8)

Brick
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
  • Lifetime Mileage: 538125
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2015 Super Tenere ES
Hearing loss... Sena and earbud use?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 01:52:32 pm »
I use audio earplugs all the time and they definitely lower exterior wind noise. Like anything else if you increase the volume to much you may not hear that overtaking tractor trailer!
Your interest is timely as PlugUp.com is a vendor at STAR this year. You can purchase a high quality custom audio earplug and get more answers to your questions. -JEP-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
Re: Hearing loss... Sena and earbud use?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 03:49:53 pm »
The problem with earbuds as I see it are fitting them into your ears then putting on your helmet without one or both coming ajar.  I thought of that when we had Cardos but never did anything about it and now with the Senas, they have a lot of more volume so hearing is generally good.  And I always wear earplugs when riding.

I also use hearing aids and like you, it's the high frequencies that escape me.  I generally appreciate the hearing aids but in a noisy room, such as a crowded restaurant, they can make it a bit overwhelming so sometimes I removed my hearing aids in that situation.

ps.  maybe we need an Official Hearing Aid of the MSTA?   :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:12:08 pm by DirtFlier »

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:45:22 pm »
The problem with earbuds as I see it are fitting them into your ears then putting on your helmet without one or both coming ajar. ....

The better ear plugs don't do that especially the custom ear plugs. They will take a mold of your ear and the wires that connect to your Bluetooth are pointed downward so you can easily slide your helmet on without pulling them out. I wear a full face and the Boss wears a flip up and we never have that problem. Speak with Marilyn at STAR and she will answer those kind of questions. -JEP-
http://www.plugup.com/Default.asp

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:53:11 pm by RIDEMYST »

Offline Landon

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: C14
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 04:45:43 pm »
Brick,

For $10 these are worth a try to see if earbuds will work for you. I know several riders that use these.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Skullcandy-Jib-Earbuds-S2DUDZ/36277288?variantFieldId=actual_color
Landon
12 Kawasaki C14

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 04:58:31 pm »
Ok some good stuff here... hear!!   :clap:

Now I need to find which connector the Sena takes to see if the Skull Candy can plug in.

And I can check with Plugup.

Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline Landon

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: C14
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:02:43 pm »
Ok some good stuff here... hear!!   :clap:

Now I need to find which connector the Sena takes to see if the Skull Candy can plug in.

And I can check with Plugup.

If you have the 20s it has the plug for the skull candy. Believe its on the front by the boom for the mic.
Landon
12 Kawasaki C14

Offline copdocpvd

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 07:15:07 pm »
I use earbud-type headphones with my Sena 20, it's the first time I've ever had TOO much volume at full volume on any intercom.  Highly recommend

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 08:53:29 pm »
I use earbud-type headphones with my Sena 20, it's the first time I've ever had TOO much volume at full volume on any intercom.  Highly recommend

If I might ask... which earbuds and where how much?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RIDEMYST

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 06:37:40 am »
If you use ear plugs with your Sena you will find that it's a PITA to try to plug your cord into the Sena port while the helmet is on your head.
I picked up a 6" right angle cord from Amazon (I think they may have a 4") that I leave plugged into my Sena all the time then it's simple to find the port (even with gloves on) and plug in your earplug cord.
I also had my custom earplug cord shortened (I have mine at 18" from the Y) so the wire isn't flapping around when I'm riding....works great!

If you are at STAR take a look at my set up and I'm sure PlugUp can customize their earplugs the same way.  -JEP-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4FU52C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 12:53:54 pm »
The problem with earbuds as I see it are fitting them into your ears then putting on your helmet without one or both coming ajar. ....

The better ear plugs don't do that especially the custom ear plugs. They will take a mold of your ear and the wires that connect to your Bluetooth are pointed downward so you can easily slide your helmet on without pulling them out. I wear a full face and the Boss wears a flip up and we never have that problem. Speak with Marilyn at STAR and she will answer those kind of questions. -JEP-
http://www.plugup.com/Default.asp

It seems that we are discussing both earbuds and earplugs, which are 2 different animals, I believe. Brick, is your original question about earbuds referring to the wired items that have speakers so you can listen to your Sena? My son David uses that type with his Cardo G9, but I don't know which brand. I have the same G9 and find that foam generic earplugs work fine for me. I never wanted to hassle of fooling with wired earbuds and find that my G9 with the later model in helmet speakers provide plenty of volume and fidelity when listening to music via Bluetooth.

As far as custom earplugs, I had some made a few years ago at one of the International motorcycle shows and found that, first off, they didn't block noise as well as the generic plugs I am used to and they weren't as comfortable. YMMV.

Offline copdocpvd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 01:36:32 pm »
I currently use custom ones from earfuze.com, they were under $40 and have pretty decent earbuds

Offline DirtFlier

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2010 NT700V/ABS & 2013 NC700XD
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 04:42:02 pm »
[As far as custom earplugs, I had some made a few years ago at one of the International motorcycle shows and found that, first off, they didn't block noise as well as the generic plugs I am used to and they weren't as comfortable.]

I also had the same experience and felt the denser material was transmitting drumming noises (from wind).  One good point is that there is a definite left & right side and fitting them into my ear canals was easy. 

Offline TN2Wheeler

• Forum Member IV
  • Rider since 1958
    • Jim's Motorcycle Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: ~1M
  • Primary Motorcycle: DR650 Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 05:06:04 pm »
[As far as custom earplugs, I had some made a few years ago at one of the International motorcycle shows and found that, first off, they didn't block noise as well as the generic plugs I am used to and they weren't as comfortable.]

I also had the same experience and felt the denser material was transmitting drumming noises (from wind).  One good point is that there is a definite left & right side and fitting them into my ear canals was easy.
I had some of those too. Worked great for a couple of years and then the shape of my ear canal changed a little (apparently) and they didn't "seal" any longer.
Jim Randall
Get your motor runnin'
2004 DL650 - Head out on the highway
2015 DR650 - Lookin' for Adventure

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 05:24:48 pm »
Certainly I have some hearing loss as well, but not yet to the point of needing hearing aids. However my Nolan modular is very noisy so I've use earbuds on my Sena 20S from the get go. I found Plugfones to be comfortable and cheap enough for testing (although not as cheap as others mentioned). I'm not very careful apparently and caught the wire on something getting on or off the bike and pulled out a wire making them trash in only a few weeks. I currently use Shure SE215k earbuds and they are very sturdy (but somewhat costly {$90}, so test with something cheaper). They have a thicker wire which goes up and over your ears (only minor interference with my eye glasses) and my little ears act as strain relief for the cords, additionally I loop the cord from the Sena phone jack up and over the Sena (between the raised antenna and the helmet) and then down behind the Sena to prevent me from accidentally unplugging the cord from the Sena (which I annoyingly did quite often before rerouting the wire). The Shure SE215 have a replaceable cord as well so when I do eventually wreck them (not yet in two years) I can just purchase a new cord. I use the silicone stepped plugs from Plufones on my Shure earbuds because I don't get a good seal with the foam ones.  The silicone plugs come in different colors, so I use orange on my left ear and yellow on my right. It seams silly perhaps, but the colors come in handy when every body is sitting there idling waiting on me to get my plugs in and helmet on.

If you do find the ear buds work for you, you'll no doubt find that you will use the outside mic on the Sena 20s more often. The mic (for some unknown reason  ??? {probably has something to do with rain}) is in the rear in the usb charging/software port, so make sure the little rubber cover is open and cock your head a bit to the right of whoever it is you are trying to hear.   

Good Luck Brick!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 05:29:08 pm by fartymarty »
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713