Author Topic: Nicky Hayden  (Read 8215 times)

Offline brider

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: Versys 1000
Nicky Hayden
« on: May 22, 2017, 06:47:31 pm »
This may be old news to most of you but I see Nicky passed away today from injuries he received when he was hit by a car while training on his bicycle.  Very sad. 
My best memory of him was when I was at the Peoria TT race right after he had signed the GP deal with Honda.  He showed up without a bike and one of his many friends offered him a ride for the day.  Of course he takes it and was tearing it up going high and long off the jumps and just a joy to watch until he did a face plant off the big jump.  You could hear Honda's back side pucker from the hill side.  :-*    He gets up and is fine.  I can't remember if someone from Honda stepped in at that point or if he finished the day but it made the wires sing with the news and shortly there after there was a "clause."  ::)
RIP Nicky

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:50:10 pm by brider »
2016 Versys 1000 LT
2020 Versys 300X

Offline Ride4MS

• MSTA Member
Re: Nicky Hayden
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 09:09:23 pm »
See this link from Racer.com, and a video with Nicky, prior to the start of the 2016 World Superbike season.  Very good interview with Nicky, and some interesting Honda's also.

http://www.racer.com/international/moto-gp/item/140744-nicky-hayden-1981-2017-140744?showall=&limitstart=

Very sad to see someone die while riding a cycle, a somewhat safe sport compared to racing.

Carl
Carl Wieman, 2016-2022 MSTA Dan Clark Safety Program Coordinator,    2022 Vanderhall Venice, 1986 Honda Gold Wing Interstate 
1986 Honda VF500F Interceptor

Offline Patmo

• MSTA Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 10:11:59 pm »
As a fellow Kentuckian I was able to watch him compete throughout most of his career.  I've met him, his brothers, and his parents all at one time or another.  I heart goes out to them and the whole Hayden extended family.  Nicky has been an inspiration for many,many young boys and girls from across the state. I don't think that unless you are from an area like western Kentucky and Owensboro that you can understand what it ment to have someone from "home" become a WORLD Champion and SUPERSTAR in a sport like motorcycle racing and for that person to remain the same person they always were. To not try to leave their "small town country boy" persona behind, but to actually embrace and show pride in it.  For a town of 10,000 in a state with a smaller population than many cities, he was an inspiration and will remain the "Kentucky Kid" forever.  I will miss watching him compete.  I will miss seeing him win.  I will miss watching him interviewed.  I will miss seeing him at his brother's events.  I will miss him, but I will never forget him.  RIP Nicky.   :(.
not all that wander are lost

Offline Brick

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 793,844
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2020 BMW R1250GS
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:15:12 am »
Oh hell... I did not know!!! I too was proud to be Nicky fan.
God Speed Nicky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brick
2020 BMW R1250GS
1999 Suzuki SV-650

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 12:27:32 pm »
As a fellow Kentuckian I was able to watch him compete throughout most of his career.  I've met him, his brothers, and his parents all at one time or another.  I heart goes out to them and the whole Hayden extended family.  Nicky has been an inspiration for many,many young boys and girls from across the state. I don't think that unless you are from an area like western Kentucky and Owensboro that you can understand what it ment to have someone from "home" become a WORLD Champion and SUPERSTAR in a sport like motorcycle racing and for that person to remain the same person they always were. To not try to leave their "small town country boy" persona behind, but to actually embrace and show pride in it.  For a town of 10,000 in a state with a smaller population than many cities, he was an inspiration and will remain the "Kentucky Kid" forever.  I will miss watching him compete.  I will miss seeing him win.  I will miss watching him interviewed.  I will miss seeing him at his brother's events.  I will miss him, but I will never forget him.  RIP Nicky.   :(.
Very well said Pat. I had the opportunity to meet Nicky at a Honda dealer open house in California back in the 90's. He was racing AMA at the time, and he was there along with Miguel Duhamel. The nicest guy and someone who would sit and talk with you, even for just a couple minutes. RIP Nicky - you were one of a kind.
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi

Offline stevegrab

• MSTA Member
  • Lifetime Mileage: 130,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2014 VFR
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 01:18:06 pm »
Nicky was a young racer just starting in AMA road racing when I started riding in the late 90s. He was 16, I was more than double his age and watched as this "kid" tore it up on the track. He was fearless, and when it came to a battle with another rider (especially brother Tommy) you were in for some good exciting action.

I met him once briefly at an autograph signing, and watched him in the paddock on other occassions. Always seemed like a great guy.

A sad tragedy for sure, a young life cut short too soon. His racing career was coming to a close, but he was engaged and probably looking forward to family life and a new career after racing.
Steve Grabowski
2014 Interceptor, 98 VFR, 99 Triumph Sprint ST, 06 Ninja 650

Offline Paco Bulto

• MSTA Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 03:24:17 pm »
Nicky won the Peoria TT in 2002 after having to start from the last row.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/nicky-hayden-wins-the-54th-peoria-tt/

A few years later, I was at the Springfield, IL TT national when Nicky got first, Tommy second and Roger 3rd. Earl and Rose were standing with them at the trophy presentation, as proud as can be.

Back about 2000, I was HSTA Prez and was at Laguna Seca for the national AMA roadrace. At the time we were negotiating with American Honda for the rights to use the Honda name. Senior Manager, Gary Christopher invited me to the Honda pits to discuss this matter a bit more. Nicky had just won the national roadrace and was being interviewed about 10-20 feet from us. It had been an exciting race and I was still pumped from watching it. I commented to Gary "I don't know how much you pay that kid, but it isn't enough." Gary lifted his finger to his lips and said "Quiet, Fred, it's contract time."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:25:58 pm by Paco Bulto »

Offline RichGrab

• MSTA Member
  • Ride em if you got em.
    • My Facebook Page
  • Lifetime Mileage: 100,000+
  • Primary Motorcycle: 2016 BMW F800GT
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 04:06:59 pm »
What a great story Fred. Good stories from all. That's how you remember someone. Godspeed Nicky!
Rich Grabowski;Jackson, MI; MSTA #12038
2016 BMW F800GT (STAR 2016 Raffle Bike)
2001 VFR800 fi